Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2006:
[aclug-L] Re: Win4Lin Pro

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Win4Lin Pro
From: Ryan <dreadlocks@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 10:52:03 -0600

They run a virtural machine in software mode, when you turn VMWare on
it looks like a PC booting up in a window.. you see the bios and
drives (you alocate resources to the virtural machine) and then you
install windows and all your software in that machine like you would a
real PC except its all running in an emulated software environment..
you can even full screen the vmware session and you almost cant tell
linux is running at the same time.

however it is alot slower than it would be if windows was running on its ow=
n.

On 2/27/06, Cavgalar, Alexandros (Alex) <cavgalar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Unfortunately, I have to use Windows2000 for the corporate mail (Microsof=
t Oulook exchange) and for the corporate database. In addition, because som=
e of our customers use Windows platforms, I need to make sure I have Window=
s under my fingertips to access their user envrionments.

> I have been using Monta Vista, Suse, and unfortunately VxWorks for my HW/=
SW development environments. Monta Vista folks told me that I can "bridge" =
the Microsoft Mail to Linux Mail server. However, because they do not suppo=
rt it, they could not help me.

> I would like to know how the whole installation of VmWare or Win4Lin goes=
. Will I be installing Windows 2000 and all the SW for the Windows environm=
ent (i.e. Microsoft Office, the corporat business database, etc.) in my Lin=
ux box or will I have to have a "dual boot" machine?