Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 2006:
[aclug-L] Re: If you had a Win98se Question what forum/blog would you go

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: If you had a Win98se Question what forum/blog would you go to?
From: Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 15:50:54 -0600

My main computer today is a Sempron 3000+ with 1Gb memory.  I have no
problems at all with it on Linux.

Once in a while I need to run 98SE on it to play a game (The last time
was when there was a change in cedega and it would not run my games for
a while).  I could not figure out for a while why the install kept
failing. When I remembered that win98 would not work with more than
512mb of ram and reduced the system to that everything worked fime.

Just one of those things that can bite you when least expected.

On Tue, 2006-01-03 at 12:34 -0600, Thomas Wallis wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Jan 2006, ironrose wrote:
>
> > Very good observation.  I was wondering why that question was being
> > asked.  When I had win98se, I wasn't able to use 512mb of ram in the
> > computer without it becoming glitchy.  I took the ram back down to 384mb
> > and I had less problems.  Just an FYI as to what happened to me.  :-(
>
>       This sounds like a good trick to try.  It can't hurt anything.
>
>       I have a computer running 98 (dual boot with SUSE 10).  It has
> 512M of memory.  I don't have too many problems with it (it is an Athlon).
> 98 crashes fairly regularly, but I don't expect much from it.  I use SUSE
> for all of my printing, websurfing, etc (98 only for the games).  My
> version of 98 is the upgrade edition from 95, and it does have some USB
> support.  I have an HP inkjet on it, as well as a USB mouse.  The mouse
> works, I don't think I have ever printed anything under Windows with it.

You might ry cedega for your games and be pleasantly surprised.  I use
it and have only booted to winblows about 5 times in the last year,
(when there was a cedega update that had a minor glitch as I said
above).

http://www.transgaming.com/

>       I did run across a motherboard once that had trouble with large
> amounts of memory.  It was a VIA chipset about the same age as the
> original poster's machine.  This machine is a file server for the CS Dept.
> It has 512M of memory in it.  When I put more memory (1G) in it, it slowed
> down dramatically (running LINUX!).  Otherwise, it worked fine.  I could
> only guess that either the chipset had trouble with large amounts of
> memory or the motherboard itself was subtley defective (maybe bad memory
> slots?). Anyway, I took it back to 512M and it is still running today.

I wonder if the memory dimms may have been incompatible.  Really strange
things can happen when there is a slight mismatch in performance of
memory.