Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 2006:
[aclug-L] Re: If you had a Win98se Question what forum/blog would you go

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: If you had a Win98se Question what forum/blog would you go to?
From: Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2006 09:28:10 -0600

On Sat, 2005-12-31 at 22:15 -0800, DAVID CARMICHAEL wrote:
> Jeff -
>
> Due to "Brothers Tech (non-email)Support" hours being
> east coast times of 9am ->5pm... can not talk to a
> live person from home...
>
> It is single sided printing... it will print the first
> page and "most" of the time a second page and then
> when it starts the third page it get about 1/3 through
> and the printer and or Win98se printer spooler will
> freeze up to where we have to reboot to free up
> printer... the system has a older laser printer that
> works just fine for B&W multi-page printing...
>
> And yet I have tried "GOOGLING" and they all pointed
> to needing to add a USB_2.0 card to the system to
> correct the troubles... while the card did add three
> more USB ports... and all devices connected work
> correctly...
>
> This printer is a multi function printer which even
> has media card slots for direct printing! The
> scanner/copier and media card slots work just fine
> (read and write to the media cards SD and Compact
> Flash).... {look at the OfficeMax adverts.. I think
> model DC110 which after rebate sells for $50)
>
> The main troubles seems to be printing project web
> pages from 'HGTV'/'FoodNetwork' and 'Bank' sites..
> Tried adding a PDF print driver.. but the graphics for
> some reason get distorted... round become oval...
>
> We hope to upgrade the computer in Feb/March...

I can understand your frustration.  I think in similar circumstances I
would tend to try and return it for exchange (it does not work) on a
better printer that would work for you.  I don't know how long you have
had that printer, but most stores have at least a 30 day return policy.

This still seems a driver issue but the problem may be because win98 is
several years old and the drivers may not be optimized for that OS.
Could you try the same printer on XP to find out if it is printer or
driver?

As Jonathan has suggested, try googling a little more.  Otherwise unless
you can get in contact with someone who has seen the same problem with
the same printer and has found a solution it seems difficult at best.