Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 2005:
[aclug-L] Re: On another topic - DirecTV TIVO

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: On another topic - DirecTV TIVO
From: ironrose <ironrose@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 12:29:09 -0600

The literature that I have read said that there are 3 versions of
tivos.  The dividing line between V2 & V3 is a little blurry, especially
since they have been rumors of financial problems.  Most and the older
versions are made by IBM, some of the newer ones have been made by
Phillips.  The older are suppose to easier to 'hack' -- the vendors have
been trying to make hacking a little more difficult.  I think that they
have misunderstood the people who buy them, and then want to upgrade and
'tinker' with their hardware.  After all, the consumer did pay for the
product.  The vendors don't appreciate that and it is their loss.  There
is money to be made with repairs and upgrading--not much, but some.  It
is definately not a means of getting rich quick.  ~Anne