Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 2005:
[aclug-L] Re: January Aclug Meeting?

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: January Aclug Meeting?
From: "Jonathan Hall" <flimzy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 23:24:13 -0600

> I'm too far away to attend meetings, but one thing I would like to
> learn more about is the possibility of building a fanless workstation.
> I am tired of replacing these cheap fans that die every few months not
> to mention the constant noise.  Heh, I'd like a computer as quiet as my
> old Color Computer 2 was with no fan.

I was about to say "If you want something as quiet as a CoCo, you're gonna
get about the same performance." :-)  But then I read your next paragraph...

> I don't care about a high end system--something in the 1 GHz range
> would be fine.  Maybe this would be something the group could discuss
> and post some information to this list.

It's good that you don't need high performance, b/c you won't get it with a
fanless system.  The Via (formerly Cyrix) C3 chips are designed to run w/o a
fan, and they fit in a standard Celeron/P3 socket (at least they did at the
last time I read about them... perhaps they have newer models by now).  At
that time (~1 year ago?), the fastest were running around 1Ghz.  I'm sure
they're faster now.  Quite cheap, too, IIRC.  I think performance was
roughly 60% of a Celeron at the same speed.  I'm sure much more accurate
(and current) benchmarks exist out there somewhere, though.

-- Jonathan