Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 2004:
[aclug-L] Re: cdrom problem

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: cdrom problem
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 17:33:49 -0600

On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 04:28:11PM -0600, bbales wrote:
> On Sunday 18 January 2004 16:09, you wrote:
> > That's very strange; on my system, all of those are listed.  (Well, I
> > did only spot check, but all the ones I checked are present.)  I wonder
> > if the manpage database on your system is out of date.  Does "man grep"
> > work for you?
>
> yes, it provides a man page for grep, egrep and fgrep.
>
> Note the following.  man -k * |grep lsof returns nothing, but man -k lsof
> returns a summary of lsof  ?????

In this case, that's normal, since man -k does not use shell-style
wildcards.  It instead uses regular expressions.  '*' to it means 0 or 1
characters.

But you also didn't quote the * in your command, so you effectively
passed to it a list of the files in your current directory.  It's quite
likely that those are not actual Unix commands :-)

Did you try man -k ''?

-- John