Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 2004:
[aclug-L] Re: cdrom problem

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: cdrom problem
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 16:09:17 -0600

On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 03:03:00PM -0600, bbales wrote:
> Well, that produces an interesting list.  Mine has 6,409 entries.  However,
> it
> is really not very useful as it does not contain locate, grep, sort, lsof,
> mount, umount, reboot, less, more, mkdir, ls, wc, man, su or any of the
> commands I frequently use.

That's very strange; on my system, all of those are listed.  (Well, I
did only spot check, but all the ones I checked are present.)  I wonder
if the manpage database on your system is out of date.  Does "man grep"
work for you?

> What we need is something that will pull out line 4 of each of the man pages.

Which line do you consider to be line 4?

> Won't sed do something like that?

Probably could, depending on how simple the *roff code is that people
use in the manpages.  It would probably be successful most of the time
anyway.

-- John