Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 2003:
[aclug-L] Re: SuSE vs. Mandrake

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: SuSE vs. Mandrake
From: Anne McCadden <ironrose@xxxxxxx>
Date: 09 Sep 2003 22:02:16 -0500

I always had problems with getting Mandrake installed when I first
started using linux and so I switched to RedHat when 5.2 came out.
Aparently Mandrake didn't like the hardware that I had in the computer
and RedHat didn't have a problem with my hardware.  I could also find
more books to read about RedHat linux.  I recently switched to SuSE when
I had problems getting RedHat updates on multiple machines.  SuSE
doesn't give me any hassles with updates and I like the way that SuSE
looks and works.  I just wish that I knew how to get my seti script in
runlevel 3 on SuSE.  Jeff Vian knows how to get the script to work on
RedHat, but not on SuSE. Because of the RedHat update problems, I am in
the process of switching all of my linux boxes to SuSE.  I just upgraded
one of the computers today and in the process of the upgrade, I removed
RedHat and installed SuSE.  Since I am not doing any windoze tech
support any longer, then I am thinking about removing XP and installing
SuSE on that box also.  That would make 8 linux boxes and one Win2k box
in my office.

I have a friend who likes Mandrake and she is always trying to get me to
switch to Mandrake so that I can help her learn all the ins and outs of
linux.  I wish that I knew all the ins and outs also.  I'm working on
it.  ~Anne