Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 2003:
[aclug-L] Re: SuSE vs. Mandrake

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: SuSE vs. Mandrake
From: Dustin Keib <dustin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 07:44:37 +0000

On Tuesday 09 September 2003 10:21 pm, Jeremy Johnstone wrote:
> I definitely wouldn't dump Mandrake 9.1 for SuSe. If anything I would go
> to Debian, but I am quite happy with Mandrake. They seem to do well at
> staying up to date, and also usually the packages to resolve
> dependencies are easy to find on RPMfind. RedHat on the other hand has
> gone so far down hill they don't rank much higher than Microsoft in my
> book.
>
> Jeremy
>
> P.S. - Sorry for cussing on the list!

I have used Debian fairly extensively on servers and such, but (for me at
least) it doesn't seem to be a worthwhile desktop distro.  Mandrake seems to
have everything gui'd that I use, which can be a great time saver, (and
waster) and appearance is important to me on the desktop.  urpmi can use
external sources (like the PLF and tex repositorys) so you can do similar to
apt-get.  I would definately agree with Jesse on the closedness of SuSE, but
with Mandrake in chapter 11, what's a Penguinisto to do?

Dustin