Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 2003:
[aclug-L] Re: Widescreen Laptops & Linux.

To: ACLUG-Discussion <discussion@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Widescreen Laptops & Linux.
From: Noah Romer <klevin@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 19:12:11 -0700 (PDT)

On 13 Aug 2003, M. Osten wrote:

> On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 15:37, Noah Romer wrote:
> > Has anyone here run Linux on a widescreen laptop? I recently got access
> > to a Compaq Presario X1000 (15.4" widescreen). Windows runs the screen
> > at 1280x800 resolution, but I haven't been able to get XFree86 to use
> > that resolution (the screen's not in any XFree config db's that I've
> > found). The closest I've gotten it is 1280x960 (told the config tool on
> > Mandrake that it was someother Compaq LCD). The LCD doesn't seem to have
> > a problem running at that resolution, but, as you might suspect,
> > everything's compressed vertically.
> >
> > I'd hoped to be able to ask on Monday night, but life intervened (as is
> > usual).
>
> Well, the problem is that your not using the right tool for the job.
> Ditch the GUI's.  Until you embrace the command line you will continue
> to be stumped by trivial problems such as this.
>
> Do a google search on how to roll your own XFConfig file.

Well, I've don'e plenty of XFConfig hacking on other systems, but I've yet
to find info on which LCD monitor is used by the X1000, and therefore,
setting up modelines for the widescreen resolutions is something of a crap
shoot.

Ah, well, I'll keep looking. Right now, I'm in the beginings of trying to
figure out the interface to the Centrino 802.11b wlan adapter. I've done a
bit of network device driver programming before, but never one where I
didn't have the specs.

--
Noah Romer              | The only person Palladium protects your computer
klevin@xxxxxxxxxx       | from - is you.