Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: August 2003:
[aclug-L] Re: Widescreen Laptops & Linux.

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Widescreen Laptops & Linux.
From: Noah Romer <klevin@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 09:08:49 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003, James Lancaster wrote:

> On Wednesday 13 August 2003 15:37, you wrote:
> > Has anyone here run Linux on a widescreen laptop? I recently got access
> > to a Compaq Presario X1000 (15.4" widescreen). Windows runs the screen
> > at 1280x800 resolution, but I haven't been able to get XFree86 to use
> > that resolution (the screen's not in any XFree config db's that I've
> > found). The closest I've gotten it is 1280x960 (told the config tool on
> > Mandrake that it was someother Compaq LCD). The LCD doesn't seem to have
> > a problem running at that resolution, but, as you might suspect,
> > everything's compressed vertically.
> >

> Off hand, Try going into /etc/X11/XF86Config and replacing the 1280x960 with
> 1280x800 and unles the monitor is rather wierd it should work (assuming xf86
> >= 4.0)
>
> If that doesn't work, I know someone who does who I can ask tommarrow.

Simple as pie (or some such saying). Worked like a charm. It's been a long
time since I've used XFree86 3.x, but I still expect configuring XFree to
be as painful as it used to be. Looking at my XFree86.0.log file, the X
server detects the proper modeline for the monitor once I told it to use
the 1280x800 resolution.

Thanks a bunch,
Noah

--
Noah Romer         | "Lo! Men have become the tools of their tools."
klevin@xxxxxxxxxx  |                    -- Henry David Thoreau