Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: July 2003:
[aclug-L] Re: Off Topic - OEM "XP" to new harddrive?

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Off Topic - OEM "XP" to new harddrive?
From: James Lancaster <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 10:32:21 -0500

On Sunday 13 July 2003 13:22, you wrote:
> The main question that I have is could a Linux boot CD be created
> that would allow the transfer of the "WindowsXP-Home" OEM [which
> has a "Hidden" FAT(16?) partition along with the main NTFS data
> partition] harddrive of 60gb be transferred to a 100gb or larger
> drive? Leaving the "Hidden" partition at its current size and
> only resizing the main data partition.

You could do something like dd if=/dev/olddrive of=/dev/newdrive that will
get everything including the partition table, after that you can run
something to fix the partition table (As I recall some of them give a
message: operating system disagrees with partition table, use operating
system's versionon (or something like that)) parted should work aiirc.

parted can resize etc fat, reiser(?), ext2/3, and a couple others. it can
always directly copy it over. The filesystem should be alright insofar as it
isn't resized. look at ntfs-tools.sourceforge.net (or something very similar)
if you want an ntfs resizer (which has had no reports of screwing up yet!)

Try that and the worst that can happen (assuming you don't mix up olddrive
and newdrive or something like that) is that you will have to recopy it.

James L