Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 2003:
[aclug-L] Re: Clone? (was: Re: There are still some monkeys in the CEO c

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Clone? (was: Re: There are still some monkeys in the CEO chair)
From: Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 11:54:09 -0500

Since there are MANY MANY people who fail to use our language correctly,
I believe the word 'clone' is often misused.
As it is commonly used today (especially in light of the genetics
experiments) clone refers to a "copy" (presumed identical) of the
original.  In that respect Linux is definitely NOT a clone of unix.

However, since most unix applications will easily run natively or with
slight tweaking on a linux platform and the only other major desktop OS
out there requires major alteration to  the application for it to run on
Linux, ------  Linux is easily seen (and usually referred to) as a
'clone' of unix.

"Unix like" is the _correct_ description if one is referring to the OSes
available before Linux was created.

This makes the argument almost moot.