Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 2003:
[aclug-L] Re: Clone? (was: Re: There are still some monkeys in the CEO c

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Clone? (was: Re: There are still some monkeys in the CEO chair)
From: ironrose <ironrose@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 12:56:15 -0500

Yes, this definition of cloning is most accurate.  Tissue cloning,
especially of plants use this process, taking some cells of the original
plant (or other tissue, ie frogs), placing the cells in a hyper-growth
medium, and creating an exact duplicate of the original.  Very useful in
very rare plants and they don't want to take a chance on contaminating
the genetic strain with cross-breeding (male and female geomes).
 Experiments have been made with higher forms of life, but don't seem to
have much intelligence.  Using the "clone" term on non-biological
entities, like an OS is slightly confusing (Jeff explains it very well),
and in my opinion M$ is trying to muddy the waters to make things
confusing for the general masses.  Therefore M$ products look better,
you buy them in a pretty box from a store, they are expensive, you get
some support from a vendor, and therefore they must be worth it???
 Misinformation goes along with expensive advertising budgets?  I prefer
linux and open office.  Ok, I'm getting off my soap box now.   ~Anne