Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 2003:
[aclug-L] Re: PVR (TIVO) software

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: PVR (TIVO) software
From: James Lancaster <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 11:59:56 -0600

On Wednesday 12 March 2003 00:08, you wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-03-12 at 00:00, David E Carmichael wrote:
> > Does anybody here know of 'Linux' based freeware for TIVO style
> > system?
> >
> > I have a 950mhz Duron / 512mb system that I want to convert to a
> > TIVO style device.
> >
> > Video out is an AGP ATI 7000 dual head based clone
> > TV card is currently a mono Conexant based PCI card
> >
> > Added feature that I would like to be able to record to
> > VCD/MPEG-1 {CD-ROM} any of the recorded programs.
> >
> > While I can find software for the system using Win-XP.... I would
> > really like to set the system up using Linux since both Tivo and
> > Replay use Linux based software..
> >
> > --David
>
> I personally use "freevo" (freevo.sourceforge.net) to play divx movies
> in my theater.  Works great as a stand-alone divx/mpeg/mp3 player, but
> is still in development on the recording tv side (although it *does*
> work).
>
> I have heard very good things about MythTV (www.mythtv.org), and should
> do what you want it to do.

Some notes:
freevo uses mp1e to record (people, notably me, have been advocating using
mencoder from mplayer to record), grabs xml tv lists, and uses mplayer to
play it (supporting all of mplayer's formats) dvd etc supported

MythTV uses a database backend and grabs it with xml tv (same as freevo) uses
ffmpeg directly to record, and play back. A web interface (note: freevo may
or may not have one)

Having set both up a bit ago, freevo was easier to install, and I never quite
got mythtv up to where I wanted it to work.

James L.