Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 2003:
[aclug-L] Re: Cable modems and Cox.net Feedback

To: <discussion@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Cable modems and Cox.net Feedback
From: "gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman)" <glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 10:53:12 -0600

> Actually I was rather amazed with Sprint when we went to install a phone
> line there related to our dialup service in Hesston.  They don't even
> answer the phone after 5pm.  No afterhours anything.

yah, i used to work for getronics doing sprint broadband installs and i was
rather disgusted with a lot of sprint's business practices in general...
let alone the fact that i was laid off because sprint decided to
discontinue sprint broadband in wichita :P

> It is more than deciding that Hesston is worth getting good service to.
> It is how to do that.  We'd love to provide service there but in order to
> do so we'd realisticly have to be a CLEC and colocate DSLAMs in United's
> central office.  That could be difficult if not impossible.

yah, i was more implying sprint offerring DSL out here... :)  i remember a
little bit of the weird stuff that goes on w/ DSL from when we started
offering DSL @ southwind...

> We could also try the wireless route but we are in the process of
shutting
> down all our wireless towns.  Just way too much interference to deliver a
> quality product that way any longer.

yah, after doing the sprint broadband stuff, i am fairly cautious when it
comes to wireless...  especially in kansas where it's so flat...  a lot of
people think that would help, but w/ sprint broadband, it really made
things a lot worse...  places like phoenix (where we trained) were great
because they had a nice mountain to put the tower on...

gLaNDix