Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: Walmart $200 PC

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Walmart $200 PC
From: David Carmichael <dec2955@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2002 13:36:51 -0500

I think that you are thinking of the older 'VIA' chips.. the newer Via-C3
chips are "Performance Rated" like the newer AMD XP CPU's ... The 'VIA'
chips really run at a slower mhz than their rated speed.

So while a 800mhz VIA may run at 500mhz bus speed it is able to run the same
software at the same speed as an Intel 800mhz chip would run the same
software package.

If you had not heard.. there is now a law suite against Intel for false
advertising of the mhz speeds of their current 'P4' CPU's.

I just wished that there was a true way to rate the power if CPU's!

--David