Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: July 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: ACLUG Website - which way to go...

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: ACLUG Website - which way to go...
From: Tom Hull <thull2@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 22:54:41 -0500

bruce wrote:
> Looks like a good start.

For the time being, please be careful to specify which ACLUG website
you are referring to (notwerk or openacs for http://aclug.notwerk.net/,
neuralmatrix or postnuke for http://aclug.neuralmatrix.org). From the
comments below I'm inclined to think you're referring to neuralmatrix.

> I would suggest a sign-in option of "guest" for someone to browse in and see
> what is there without having to get a password or give out his/her email
> address.

Both websites have the concept of an "anonymous" user, which is what you are
until you've registered or after you've logged out. Both websites provide
some amount of data to anonymous users, but provide more data and functions
to registered users. On notwerk there is a "Why Register?" link which tries
to explain why you should register. Both websites only offer information
about registered users to other registered users. We generally consider
this to be a good trade-off. The policies and information are slightly
different (in particular, postnuke provides a way for you to display a
bogus email address).

> And definitely change the register process.  In Konqueror, if you mess up the
> registering, the error message appears two pages down and unless you page
> down it looks like it keeps giving you the same page, asking again for you to
> sign-in.  With Opera, the error message appears where you will see it.

For the notwerk website, you can submit a bug report on anything on the website
that you think is wrong/broken/etc. Go to the Bugzilla link. (And, yes, you
have to register there. Again. Sorry about that.)

--
/*
  *  Tom Hull * thull2 at cox.net * http://www.tomhull.com/