Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: May 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: Case/CPU fan noise

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Case/CPU fan noise
From: Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 17:56:58 -0500

You buy one of the cheapest systems around and expect it to have the
quality and features of a high end system??????    Get real. -- What you
get is the quality you pay for!

Your Athalon system has no comparison to the bare-bones system you
bought. My Athalon has 5 fans. 2 case fans, the power supply fan, cpu
fan and chipset fan. NONE of them make a buzzing sound, although they do
produce fan noise.

Also, a "buzz" is NOT a normal sound for a fan. It could be a bad fan
from the manufacturer since they do not test 100%. It also could be as
simple as having a single mounting screw that has not been properly
snugged down, or a case design that transfers an excessive amount of
noise. Thus normal noise gets amplified or transformed and becomes
irritating.

I have seen fans make noise because they had a tiny sliver of paper
caught where the fan blade was whipping the edge of the paper
(buzzing).  Bad bearings or out of balance rotors make a buzzing
(vibrating) sound in new fans.  The sound you describe as a failing fan
(in your experience) is the sound you get when the (usually bearing)
failure is starting to affect the speed of the fan and it is repeatedly
slowing then speeding back up.

If you are not happy -- DO SOMETHING TO FIX IT -- instead of whining to
the group.
We have given you advice in response to your questions based on our
experiences.  Now you argue that our suggestions have no merit.

The simplest, quickest, and most definitive answer is have the noise
checked out by a service department.

If you are dead set against having the vendor help you solve your
problem with their product then I for one don't need to listen to
whines. If they REFUSE to help then a complaint is legitimate.

On the other hand, I am more than willing to listen and respond to
legitimate questions or complaints where the person asking is willing to
listen to the suggestions and then make an informed decision based on
the responses they get and what they learn.

regards,
Jeff