Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: May 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: Case/CPU fan noise

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Case/CPU fan noise
From: Benjamin Bunck <bbunck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 07:40:29 -0500 (CDT)

Fans go bad.  One of those sad facts of life.  I purchased a high $ Asus
Motherboard and within a few months, the fan on the memory controller
sounded like a vacuum cleaner.  I purchased a replacement at National
for around $15.  The high-pitched buzz you hear might be more of a
property of a cheap fan than a defective fan...I don't know.

I've heard from people that sometimes, a drop of 3-in-1 oil on the motor
of the fan will correct various buzzes, but I would think its much better
in the long run to just buy the replacement, especially if the original
is the typical cheap-o-fan put on by somebody who wants to make a
low-priced system.

Ben