Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: May 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: Network coaxial cable 2-base-10 to Cat-5 10/100 connectio

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Network coaxial cable 2-base-10 to Cat-5 10/100 connection.
From: Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 03 May 2002 08:41:16 -0500

David Carmichael wrote:

> Network coaxial cable 2-base-10 to Cat-5 10/100 connection.

the coax is 10base2
much slower than 10mb (or 100mb ) on the RJ45 10/100baseT cable.

Yes there are transceivers to convert from bnc to rj45.... expensive.
The last time I bought one of those it was nearly $100

Easier and much less expensive way if you MUST stay with existing
cabling would be to get a nic that has the bnc connector on it.  I have
several and I know others in the local area there do as well.

You might also try National Computer Resources outlet store for the
cards with bnc connections, or move the old nic from the pc being
replaced.