Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: May 2002:
[aclug-L] Network coaxial cable 2-base-10 to Cat-5 10/100 connection.

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Network coaxial cable 2-base-10 to Cat-5 10/100 connection.
From: David Carmichael <dec2955@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 21:25:18 -0500

Network coaxial cable 2-base-10 to Cat-5 10/100 connection.

Is there such a beast?

I have a coaxial cable ran between two offices and currently the hardware
that I am using is working..

The only trouble is.. will be upgrading a computer (this weekend!) and it
has a built-in 10/100 RJ45 connection and not a BNC connection, like the
older computers Linksys ISA card has.

I have a choice of trying to run a new cable and or find some sort of
interface... while I would really like the new system to connect to the
router at 100mbps I know that current DSL connections don't even come close
to 5mbps which is half the speed that the 2-base-10 coaxial cable can
handle.

I know that two member local readers of this email group offered to help
string the needed cat-5 cable.. and due to events on my end and then on his
end we just have not been able to get together and get the job done.

--David