Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: Tiny distribution for Gateway Nomad 386 Mhz

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Tiny distribution for Gateway Nomad 386 Mhz
From: Donald King <donald@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 11:38:25 -0600

On Fri 08 Mar 2002 09:33, David Wibowo wrote:
> I have a laptop 386 Gateway (Nomad). I'm planning to install Linux using
> tiny distribution. I'm planning to use this for some programming I need
> (gcc, java, and HTML, PHP or JSP, Apache, MySql) and personal checking
> program.
>
> do any of you know any good (& tiny) distribution which can run X window
> and capable of have apache install (only for off line)
>
> do any of you know any personal checking program which can print personal
> size check and able to calculate amount before the check clear. (GUI or
> not is OK)
>
> thanks
> David Wibowo
>
> NB: my hard drive space is about 20 MB
>     I don't need internet connection from that laptop (no modem or
> network card)

I have to agree with Dale, there's no way to cram ALL of that into 20MB of
disk space.  Java is the biggest culprit here, sucking up about 60MB for
the JDK 1.3.1.  GCC is another hog, requiring approx. 10-15MB or so of disk
space.  However, you should be able to shoehorn in an older distribution of
Slackware (circa Slackware 3.6 or so), a copy of Apache, perhaps XFree86,
and just maybe an install of MySQL.  At that point, you WILL be out of disk
space, so you'll have to think hard about what you plan to do with all
those installed programs.

--
Donald King, a.k.a. Chronos Tachyon
http://chronos.dyndns.org/ -- WWED?