Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: KakeTV

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: KakeTV
From: "gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman)" <glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 13:59:59 -0600

On Sun, Jan 27, 2002 01:M am, you wrote:

> What do you mean legal licenses/copies from Hesston College?

since I'm a CIT major working towards my MCSE (among other things), I'm able
to get copies of most versions of windows, programming tools, etc, etc,
etc...  it's actually a pretty sweet deal...  they give you a paper license
and you get a burned copy of the software...  and it's all legal (which DOES
take some of the fun out of it!)...

> I could be wrong.....Because I couldn't give a rat's ass what M$
> Licensing Agreement says....but, I think its changed a lot through the
> years.  Last guess, is that you don't own the software at all.....even
> though you bought it.....From what I understand...You purchase it, you
> install it on your computer....then its licenced to that computer as
> long as you own that computer.....if you sell that computer then you
> have to uninstall M$ OS and software and you are not allow to install it
> on any other computers you own (and you are not allowed to resell the
> software)......If you build another computer from scratch you have to
> purchase another copy of M$ OS and software for that computer.
>  Basically, its licensed to one computer only as long as you own it.
>  So, you thought you purchased the OS when you really only lease it.

i think it's something like that, but i always understood it that if you have
one copy of windows, you could install it on one computer, but it didn't
matter which one as long as it was only on that one...  then again, i'm
definately NOT a lawyer and I get bored after the "End User License
Agreement" heading on the EULA! :^ )

> Beware....you wouldn't want the M$ police to require a software audit of
> Hesston College....

actually, believe it or not, I think they actually follow the licensing
policies fairly closely...  not quite like it was back in the guys dorms of
Tabor! ; ^ )

gLaNDix