Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 2001:
[aclug-L] Testing ATX Power Supply

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Testing ATX Power Supply
From: David Carmichael <dec2955@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 23:20:59 -0600

Hello all.....

Well either I crashed my motherboard or a new case that I purchased has a
bad power supply / switch.....

So with an older AT board the power supply fan would come on even if the
system power was not connected to the motherboard.

So how does one test an ATX power supply?

<more background on project>
I was moving a caldron ATX motherboard to a new case, that has four full
size 5.25" drive bays, while the older case had four 5.25" drive bays.. they
were not full size and could not install more than two CD-ROM drives in the
case... anything more could conflict with the motherboard.
Everything was working and checked out fine.
Marked cables act... pulled motherboard.... installed into new case.....
connected all cables.... but when connected power cable and ...
flipped main switch...
        ....nothing happened!!!!

Every ATX system that I have built/re-built to date powered up the first
time with out any troubles....

David E. Carmichael
Southwestern Bell Internet:
Mailto: dec2955@xxxxxxxxxx
Home Page: http://home.swbell.net/dec2955/index.html
Southwestern Bell Telephone
Local Voice: (316) 524-0246 // Local Fax : (316) 524-9731