Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 2001:
[aclug-L] Re: Strange Computer Problems

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Strange Computer Problems
From: Clint Brubakken <cabrubak@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 16 Nov 2001 09:03:35 -0600

On Thu, 2001-11-15 at 19:55, Ironrose wrote:

> If the computer is completely shutdown, then it sounds like the power
> supply.  I vote for this solution.  You could try another power supply
> for a few days to see if that fixes the problem, if it doesn't solve the
> problem, then return the power supply back to the store and look for
> another solution.

I'm not sure if it shuts off, just that there is no output to the
monitor. I feel its a heat/power supply issue, as taking the case off
solved the problem for months.

> The video chip may be getting too hot and causing a shutdown.  I'm
> reaching a little on the video, but it is possible.
>
> Do you have power saving features on in the BIOS or in the windows
> settings?  Some hardware doesn't work well when the power saving modules
> kick in.  Some hardware goes into a coma and won't wake up.  ~Ironrose

I goes into standby  when idle and wakes up just fine, this only happens
when I'm actively using the computer

> Clint Brubakken wrote:
> >
> > I'm experiencing some strange computer problems, and I'm wondering if
> > any of you have an idea on what it can be.
> >
> > This is my game machine running win 98, with a k6-2 500, gigabyte 5ax
> > motherboard 384 megs pc 100 ram, a vodoo 3 2000, a sound blaster awe-32
> > soundcard, and a 300W power supply
> >
> > The problem I've had is that the computer keeps "turning off". The
> > signal to monitor stops, and the monitor goes blank. THe only way to get
> > it to restart is to hit the reset button.
> >
> > I thought it was a heat problem, so I took of the case, and that solved
> > it for a while.
> >
> > Then I noticed my scsi cdr wasn't being detected, and after some
> > rebooting I got it to work, but it went off in the middle of burning a
> > cd. So I took that and the scsi card out.
> >
> > That seemed to fix it for a while, but it started again.
> >
> > I noticed it seems to happen when the apartment gets warm.
> >
> > Most of the time it happens while playing everquest, but most of the
> > time my computers being used its playing everquest.
> >
> > Both the power supply fan, and cpu are blowing air, but I notice a lot
> > of dust in the power supply fan.
> >
> > Last night something new came up. Windows would lock up after rebooting.
> > Normally right after the password prompt, but one time I got past that
> > and it froze as it was redrawing the screen and playing the windows
> > sound. I shut it off completely for an hour and then I could play Civ
> > III for an hour w no problems.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Clint Brubakken

> > visit http://tmp2.complete.org/cgi-bin/listargate-aclug.cgi

Clint Brubakken <cabrubak@xxxxxxxxxx>
Programmer Analyst
Inetic Web Development
---
Black holes are where God divided by zero.