Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 2001:
[aclug-L] Re: Strange Computer Problems

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Strange Computer Problems
From: David Carmichael <dec2955@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 13:50:58 -0600

Clint -

First off I would say 'power supply' troubles... is the system plugged into
a battery back up or other form of power protection, not just a surg strip?

Second not knowing your motherboard check your BIOS settings for  a thermal
protection setting, which might of gotten changed some how.

Third check and make sure that the air intake vents of the case are free of
dust.

Try running the system with the side cover off and see how long things run..
this would help track down a heat troubles.

Also check out the Win'9x power settings, some how the file could of gotten
messed up and where it should of been reading 2minutes it is now reading 2
seconds.

Since CD-ROM's will not work in 'SAFE MODE' can you boot in 'SM' and see if
the system locks up due to heat after a while?

I just find it strange that you are having CD-ROM troubles as I had a CD-ROM
drive fail on me with in the past ten days.

This is all I can think of off the top of my head..

--David