Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 2001:
[aclug-L] Re: Hacker or ??

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Hacker or ??
From: Steven Saner <ssaner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 16:49:08 -0500

You are likely to receive a SYN packet (basically just a mostly empty
TCP packet that is asking to make a connection) for any real IP
address that is on your network. If there is no machine with that IP
address, then there will of course be no response, other than maybe an
ICMP host unreachable from your router. If there is a machine with
that IP address, but there is nothing listening to port 80, there will
be a response basically saying that the port is not open. If you have
private addresses behind the NAT box, there won't be a connection
attempt to those directly.

Steve