Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: September 2001:
[aclug-L] Re: Hacker or ??

To: <discussion@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Hacker or ??
From: "gLaNDix" <glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 12:12:53 -0500

'man cron' has a LOT of useful information and some helpful real-world
examples...

the line in your crontab should look like:

0 * * * *       root    <script>

which file to put it in kind of depends on what distro you're using...
on my freebsd box, I could put this in my /etc/crontab or add it to my
'periodic' files...

in linux, I think there is also a /etc/cron.d directory where there is a
monthly, weekly, and daily folder...  either that, or there may be a
/etc/cron.daily, /etc/cron.weekly, and /etc/cron.monthly directory...
poke around in your /etc dir and you should find them...  in the second
example (which I think is more common), if you want to run the script
daily, you can put the file in /etc/cron.daily/ ...

to run it hourly, place the above '0 * * ...' line in your /etc/crontab
and that should work...

sorry I couldn't be of more use...  I'm in windows right now, and the
only *NIX I have access to is my FreeBSD box...  maybe someone else can
confirm the crontab stuff?

gLaNDix