Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: July 2001:
[aclug-L] Re: Linux printing

To: <discussion@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Linux printing
From: "lowell" <lowell@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 23:44:49 -0500

        Ain't that the truth! Did you try to use printtool? It's kinda
particular
but it'll do the job sometimes. (Is your printer supported? Prolly so, or
you wouldn't have gotten as far as you did. Sounds like you'll need to try
to reinstall lpr; rpm's available from rpmfind (or from your install disks
for that matter...])

About twenty years ago, I was using a CP/M machine with 64K of memory.  I
bought a cheap printer and got it to work.  I wrote the printer driver in
forth.  I could print out a text page.

If anyone has any idea that Linux may someday be on lots of desktops,
someone
is going to have to make it possible to print out a page of text.  In three
hours tonight, I managed to print out a full-color RedHat test page, eleven
lines each one starting where the previous line ended, and copied a data
file
into /usr/bin/lpr (making lpr not too useful from now on).

The HOWTO is worthless (or worse), Wordperfect only has one menu after
another
asking for undecipherable things (where are the fonts) and what is the
destination (a piece of paper, for goodness sakes), the man pages aren't any
help, as usual.

I's like to use Linux for something more than a test bed for configuring
Linux.  May never happen.

discouraged again,
bruce