Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: July 2001:
[aclug-L] Re: Base memory 512kb and extend memory 31744KB

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Base memory 512kb and extend memory 31744KB
From: Thomas Wallis <wallis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 15:38:52 -0500 (CDT)

        This is very strange.  Does your BIOS report base memory of 512K
and extended of 31744?  I have certainly seen LINUX not be able to detect
all the memory of the machine, but it normally goes ahead and installs
anyway, and just uses part of the memory until you use the lilo append
trick to tell it how much memory the system really has.  What kind of
machine is this?

                                Tom W.

> > On Thursday 19 July 2001 12:18 am, you wrote:
> > > Hi, all
> > >
> > > I have a PII-233, and it has
> > > Base memory 512kb and extend memory 31744KB
> > > on boot up it show 32M memory,
> > > I tried to install Debian, so I put the bootable
> > > Debian cd on the cdrom . When it boot, it shows:
> > >
> > > " SYSLINUX 1.48xxxx Copyright.
> > > It appears your computer has less than 608k of the
> > > low("Dos") RAM. Linux needs at least this amount
> > > boot. If you get this message in error, hold down
> > the
> > > Ctrl key while booting, and I will take you word
> > for
> > > it.
> > > Boot failed."
> > >
> > > When I hold the Ctrl key, it shows the Welcome to
> > > Debian page, with the prompt "boot: "
> > > I don't know what agrument should I put after the
> > > boot, if I just hit the enter key. It show
> > > "Boot fail: please change disks and press a key to
> > > continue."
> > >
> > > I tried to put a Debian boot disk, it still
> > generate
> > > the same error.
> > >
> > > Anyone has any idea what should I do? any argument
> > > should I tried? please help.
> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Mav

> > > visit
> >
> http://tmp2.complete.org/cgi-bin/listargate-aclug.cgi
> > -- This is the discussion@xxxxxxxxx list.  To
> > unsubscribe,
> > visit
> >
> http://tmp2.complete.org/cgi-bin/listargate-aclug.cgi

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed here are my own and not those of WSU.

EMAIL address:  wallis@xxxxxxxxxxx    wallis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx