Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: July 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: New Linux User

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: New Linux User
From: james l <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 13:03:21 -0500

> I myself have tried earlier versions of redhat and caldera.....not bad but
> to me with no linux background still found them
> difficult. What I finally decided to stick with is Corel Linux. It is the
> easiest one on the market to install. Many hardcore
> Linux users don't like it because 1) some areas it looks similar to windows
> 2) they think it is too simple. But you have so
> many things to learn about linux I wanted something simple that I could get
> up and running and then start learning the
> more complicated stuff. Believe me there is plenty of that. For the present
> I would reccommend the Corel, but there are
> many good systems out there.
> Keith

Here is my (fairly well experenced user's) perspective:
There are two (major) packaging systems: RPMs an DEBs
RPMs are used by most distributions, and are easier to find. In these
distros, you can use something like kpackage to install debs, if you ever
need to.
DEBs are used by Debian and Debian-based distros. These can use
alien
Redhat-The one I use most, because I started using it first, and like it. I
haven't had any problems with install or upgrade, but I use the text-based
install, which shows everything the graphical one does, and seems faster. RPM
based There are problems when you compile a newer kernal.
Corel-Pretty good if you just want to run kde, and use some easy graphical
configuration programs, but it is kind of wierd compared to other linux
distros. Deb based, but has a graphical frontend to alien, which makes it
easy to install rpms, if you are not inclined to use the command line, which
seems to be what Corel's distro is all about.
Caldera-Last version I used was 1.3 or so. It was fairly good, and could
install on very limited hard drive space. Now, it is *supposed* to have the
best graphical install program, and be easier to setup than Redhat. RPM-based
Mandrake-(based on talk, and very limited experence) Based off of Redhat it
is more stable (6.1) than redhat and a pain (7.0). RPM-based
Storm-Very nice, the install was better than corel's (350MHz vs 120MHz may
have had something to do with it.) I did not use the config tools, because I
copied my redhat files over.
Debian-(all based on talk) A very stable, and upgradeable distro, that has
not had a new release for a while, but it does have apt-get which searches
the internet for newer packages.
Please fell free to comment on distros you have experence with.
James L