Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: July 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: New Linux User

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: New Linux User
From: Jesse Kaufman <glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 12:51:17 -0500 (CDT)

On  6 Jul, james l wrote:
> RPM-based
> Mandrake-(based on talk, and very limited experence) Based off of Redhat it
> is more stable (6.1) than redhat and a pain (7.0). RPM-based
> Storm-Very nice, the install was better than corel's (350MHz vs 120MHz may
> have had something to do with it.) I did not use the config tools, because I
> copied my redhat files over.

i've tried mandrake 7.0, and overall, it's a very nice distro...
pretty, easy install, and i was on the internet w/in 15 min after the
packages finished installing.  the install itself took a while, because
i chose expert mode and selected packages one-by-one, since i did not
like any of the prepackaged "groups"

> Debian-(all based on talk) A very stable, and upgradeable distro, that has
> not had a new release for a while, but it does have apt-get which searches
> the internet for newer packages.

loved it!  install wasn't near as bad as what i had heard...  i started
w/ Red Hat 5.0, and the Debian 2.1 install wasn't really any worse than
the RH5 install...  did get into quite a bind when i tried to upgrade
to glibc-2.1.x ... OUCH!  reinstall time! : ^)

so, i tried slackware 7...  i LOVE it...  customize-able, stable,
standard, and best of all, it's MINE! :^ )  w/ slack, it feels more
like i'm in charge of the system, rather than sitting back and watching
as RH does things it thinks i want to do when i really don't...
granted, i would not suggest beginning in linux w/ slack, but it's kind
of what i've been working up to...  RH, Debian, Slackware! :^ )

personally, I would highly reccommend Mandrake for beginners, since
it's easy to use, stable, and updated more regularly than RH (in my
experience)...  Debian isn't all that horrible either, but it's not
updated all that often...  then, slack seems to be updated every 27
minutes! : ^ )

gLaNDix
--
<<< Linux lloydix 2.2.16 #3 Thu Jun 22 15:43:36 CDT 2000 i586 unknown >>>

Bart:  Why are we all dressed up?
Marge: [staring out the window waiting for Homer]
       Because sometimes it's fun to dress up for dinner.
Lisa:  Why are we using the good china?
Marge: Because sometimes it's fun to use the good china.
Bart:  What's with the candles?
Marge: Sometimes it's fun to use candles.
Lisa:  Why are we waiting for Dad?
Marge: Because we love your father and enjoy his company.
Bart:  Why are we <really> waiting for Dad?
                -- Homer is late for the last dinner of his life,
                   "One Fish, Two Fish, Blowfish, Blue Fish"