Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: May 2000:
[aclug-L] Linux Question!!

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Linux Question!!
From: Mohammad Islam <sohel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 13:27:52 -0500

Hi all,

I have a question about Caldera OPenLinux. At work we installed Caldera
Openlinux 2.4 (Kernel 2.2.14)
The machine has two Qlogic Fibre Chanel Host adapter cards. We
downloaded the source for the driver (The Qlogic website said its for
RedHat 6.0/6.1) and compiled it. Now when we rebotted the machine..the
kernel tried to load the module for the qlogic cards and come up with
kernel panic...and no root prompt. I was able to pass an argument to
lilo (Linux init=/etc/sh) which dropped me to a shell prompt. Now i
wanted to edit a file called "default" (in /etc/modules directory) but
was unable to do so cz the filesystem was mounted read-only.

My question is: how can i mount the filesystem as read-write so that i
can edit the above mentioned file?(This file has the names of default
modules/drivers that i wanna load at boot time...by commenting out the
qlogic module, i can tell the kernel not to load it at boot time..and
can boot the machine normally)

I tried mount -v -t ex2fs /dev/hda1 / ..didnt work. I got an error that
the filesystem ex2fs is not supported by the lernel.

Thanks.

Mohammed.