Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: X server crashes Linux - why?

To: <discussion@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: X server crashes Linux - why?
From: "Dale W Hodge" <dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 00:37:45 -0600

The magic keys are a special compile time option available in 2.1.x or later
kernels.  They are quite powerful, and as such, have the ability to crash your
system. I know, as I needed to kill a runaway process and accidentally told it
to kill *all* processes, which it promptly did, including init!.  I'd misread
the the instructions and had pressed the wrong key, as there's another choice
that will kill everything *but* init.  I would use them sparingly, as a tool of
last resort.

--dwh