Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: X server crashes Linux - why?

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: X server crashes Linux - why?
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 24 Mar 2000 10:54:46 -0600

Well there are several issues at work here.

First of all, the X server takes control over the console (keyboard,
mouse, screen).  This means that if the X server has a problem, it can
APPEAR that the machine is locked, when in fact, it is not (you could
still telnet in to it, for instance).  You might try
Ctrl-LeftAlt-Backspace sometime if you think it has crashed; if it's
not too terribly badly wedged, this chould kill th eX server process.

The second reason is that the X server runs setuid root.  It has to do
this in order to take over the console and control the video card.
Note that the Framebuffer device in the kernel may alleviate this
problem in some cases.  Anyway, when it is running as root, all bets
are off as it can basically do anything.  Note that even though the
server runs as root part o fthe time, the apps that run in X do not.

-- John

John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx |