Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 2000:
[aclug-L] X server crashes Linux - why?

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] X server crashes Linux - why?
From: John Reinke <jmreinke@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 01:53:31 -0600

I am curious about WHY a crashing X server can crash Linux. Isn't it an
application, and doesn't Linux have protected memory? All I know is that
once every few weeks I'll be working on something (just a few consoles
open, no Netscape) and then everything will lock up. I can't switch to a
virtual console or connect to the machine so I assume the machine is
crashed. Is this preventable, or is it a problem Linux users just deal
with? Surely this isn't normal.

John