Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: NIC gone

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: NIC gone
From: Wayne White <WWHITE1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2000 11:51:46 -0600

At 10:31 AM 02/06/2000 -0600, you wrote:
>You probably just need to run insmod or modprobe to insert the appropriate
>module for the NIC.  You can make this happen every time you boot by editing
>/etc/modules (that's what it is in Debian, at least, it's probably similar
>in Caldera).  Simply put the name of the module on a line by itself in that
>file.  For instance, for an NE2000 or compatible:
>

>ne
>

>Should do it... :-)

Well, I wish it had. I added ne to /etc/modules/default, which appears to
be the appropriate file in Caldera. No luck.

Likewise, insmod and modprobe don't help either. When I run modprobe -l it
doesn't list any modules. insmod ne returns the message that there is no
module by that name. I don't understand how it can work when installed,but
not be there after a reboot. It seems that the module would either have to
be there or in the kernel for it to work at all.

Maybe I'll try recompiling the kernel.

Any other ideas?

Thanx,

Wayne