Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: NIC gone

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: NIC gone
From: Wayne White <WWHITE1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2000 12:41:09 -0600

At 12:23 PM 02/06/2000 -0600, you wrote:
>Wayne White wrote:
>>
>> Well, I wish it had. I added ne to /etc/modules/default, which appears to
>> be the appropriate file in Caldera. No luck.
>>
>> Likewise, insmod and modprobe don't help either. When I run modprobe -l it
>> doesn't list any modules. insmod ne returns the message that there is no
>> module by that name. I don't understand how it can work when installed,but
>> not be there after a reboot. It seems that the module would either have to
>> be there or in the kernel for it to work at all.
>>
>> Maybe I'll try recompiling the kernel.
>>
>> Any other ideas?
>>
>Don't recompile your kernel! This has happened to me enough to know you
>don't need an elaborate solution. Just find out whatever Caldera uses
>for network admin and connect up eth0 with your NIC and IP address, then
>activate it. Unless you've really got something odd going on, this is
>all you need.
>
>Larry Bottorff

Okay, I think I've found the problem. I found the module ne.o on the machine.
When I tried to isnmod the module it came back and reported a kernel-module
mismatch. The module is for kernel 2.2.10 and the install put on kernel
2.2.13-7.
How would I make a new module for the current kernel? Why would OL install
a module for a kernel it wasn't installing?

Thanks