Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: NIC gone

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: NIC gone
From: Larry Bottorff <mrprenzl@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2000 11:04:03 -0600

Wayne White wrote:

> Yesterday I installed Open Linux 2.3 on a spare machine. It installed fine
> and all was right with the world. This morning I shut it down do rearrange
> some cables. When it booted back up it couldn't initialize the eth0. I get
> the following two messages. "eth) unknown interface  no such device" and
> "eth0 initialization failed." Yesterday eth0 worked fine. The lights on
> both the NIC and my hub are on. The network cable is in place. I find no
> eth0 in the /dev directory, although I'm not sure that I should.

I'm using SuSE 6.3 and it has YaST for doing system changes (install and
post-install). Yours has something similar. (Maybe netcfg, lisa, or a
KDE or OpenLinux sysadmin tool). Find it and use it. (It will definitely
be something that needs root priveledges, though.) Don't try mucking
with config files directly unless you're not a beginner. Basically, you
need to let the system know that the "eth0 device" is associated with
the IP address you've given your box. Then it has to be marked as
"active". If you can't find some sort of sysadmin tool, come back and
ask for more help.

Larry Bottorff