Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: NIC gone

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: NIC gone
From: Larry Bottorff <mrprenzl@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2000 12:23:13 -0600

Wayne White wrote:

> Well, I wish it had. I added ne to /etc/modules/default, which appears to
> be the appropriate file in Caldera. No luck.
>
> Likewise, insmod and modprobe don't help either. When I run modprobe -l it
> doesn't list any modules. insmod ne returns the message that there is no
> module by that name. I don't understand how it can work when installed,but
> not be there after a reboot. It seems that the module would either have to
> be there or in the kernel for it to work at all.
>
> Maybe I'll try recompiling the kernel.
>
> Any other ideas?

Don't recompile your kernel! This has happened to me enough to know you
don't need an elaborate solution. Just find out whatever Caldera uses
for network admin and connect up eth0 with your NIC and IP address, then
activate it. Unless you've really got something odd going on, this is
all you need.

Larry Bottorff