Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: my computer's entered the TwilightZone!

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: my computer's entered the TwilightZone!
From: glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 00:33:01 -0600 (CST)

On 13 Jan, Jonathan Hall wrote:
> Does it happen during/after a reboot, or while the computer is running
> normally?  If you look at your logs (say /var/log/syslog), can you tell
> *when* the jump ahead took place?

originally, i thought it only took place soon after a reboot into
windows (i'm not aware it happens when i reboot from linux -> linux,
just linux -> windoze -> linux)...  but now, i think it's happened once
or twice while running linux (usually overnite, which makes me think
some cronjob is doing it...)

> You might start a cron job that runs every minute and just puts a
> date/time-stamp in a file (say /root/time), then check that after your next
> jump-ahead takes place to see exactly when it happened (when the date jumps
> an hour and a minute rather than just a minute, you know you've found the
> time it happened).

ok, kewl idea... never tho't of that...  setting it up now, hopefully
i'll catch the problem soon, because it sux looking at the clock,
seeing 9:30 and thinking i've got a while until i have to be at work,
only to realize it says 9:30pm the next day, and it's really 5-till 10!

jesse

--
<<<Linux lloydix 2.2.13 #8 Wed Dec 22 02:31:05 CST 1999 i586 unknown>>>

Homer:  Hey, Flanders, it's no use praying.  I already did the
        same thing, and we can't both win.

Flanders:
        Actually, Simpson, we were praying that no one gets hurt.

                   Dead Putting Society