Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: my computer's entered the TwilightZone!

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: my computer's entered the TwilightZone!
From: "Clint A. Brubakken" <cabrubak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 09:21:48 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 13 Jan 2000 glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> i swear my computer has been going in and out of worm holes or
> something...  every now and then, my time LEAPS ahead an hour or
> more...  it's never behind, but often jumps forward.. WHY???  is there
> some app that is doing this?  it just started semi-recently...  would
> rebooting into winblows have anything to do w/ it?  is there some app
> that may be running that is bumping it ahead?  i THOUGHT i had my TZ
> set correctly (US/Central), but maybe something's still wrong...

I had that problem with the /etc/init.d/hwclock

at boot time it syncs your hw clock, based on a setting in /etc/adjtime,
which tells how many seconds off your hardware clock gets every hour, and
then sets the system clock to it. For me it said that the hardware clock
gains several days every hour, so everytime that ran, (only after
rebooting) it synced my clock to months ago.

to test this run as root
hwclock --adjust

and see if the time changes

the solutution is to remove you /etc/adjtime set the system clock of a
good source with rdate or ntpd  then run (as root)
hwclock --systohc
(or you can set hwclock by hand with
hwclock --set --date=newdate
)

then do it again in a day or so (before rebooting the pc)

so that way it will have an accurate record of your hwclock drift, and you
should be even more accurate than normal

for more info
man hwclock
and read the /etc/init.d/hwclock.sh script

> any help would be appreciated!
> jesse
> --
> <<<Linux lloydix 2.2.13 #8 Wed Dec 22 02:31:05 CST 1999 i586 unknown>>>
>
> I wore my extra loose pants for nothing.  Nothing!
>
>                       -- Homer Simpson
>                  New Kid on the Block

Clint Brubakken
Developer, Computer Science Services Group, LLC
Dictator-for-Life Air Capital Linux Users Group
Wichita, KS
cabrubak@xxxxxxx
---
It's not that hard.  No matter what the problem is, tell the customer
to reinstall Windows.
                                        -- Nurse
User Friendly, 3/22/1998