Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: my computer's entered the TwilightZone!

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: my computer's entered the TwilightZone!
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 12:34:25 -0600

Does it happen during/after a reboot, or while the computer is running
normally?  If you look at your logs (say /var/log/syslog), can you tell
*when* the jump ahead took place?

You might start a cron job that runs every minute and just puts a
date/time-stamp in a file (say /root/time), then check that after your next
jump-ahead takes place to see exactly when it happened (when the date jumps
an hour and a minute rather than just a minute, you know you've found the
time it happened).

Then... see if anything happened around that time that might cause problems
(you ran XYZ app, or rebooted, or it was a certian time of day, your
relatives were visiting you, or you turned on MSNBC on your TV...)  :-)

--
Floppy disk tip #2: Diskettes should be cleaned and waxed once a week.
Microscopic metal particles may be removed by waving a powerful magnet over