Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: Switching distros

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Switching distros
From: Bob_Deep <bobd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2000 19:20:21 +0000

John Reinke wrote:

> Thanks for the tips on setting up partitions. Just to make sure I
> understand this: In Linux/UNIX, if multiple partitions are created and
> mounted, it all behaves like one big directory structure?

Yes.. Even partitions from other drives show up under the root or /
partition.

> For example, if I
> wanted to set aside a partition for Samba, I could create it and put it in
> /home/username/stuff/samba, and that's where it would appear to be? Do
> permissions for the directory control the permissions for the partition as
> well?

Um... Well sorta...  I think the permissions are set by the permissions
of each file and directory, but other than that...

> And my other question: Since I have the Red Hat CD, if I install Red Hat
> just to get started and wanted to switch to Debian, is that an easy
> transition, or should I just make some sort of bootable floppy and do a
> internet installation of Debian somehow?

Um... Again, it depends.  If you are intending to use a specific distro,
start with that one.  It will be easier for you in the long run, as you
won't run up agnist the differances in distros...

If you want to keep multiple distributions arround.. Simply create
seperate partitions for the various distros you want to run.. then you
just tell lilo about all the differant boot kernels you have, where they
live, and you can boot from them seperatly.

--
      -=  Bob =-
Hey.. This is my mail and I charge for SPAM I receive...