Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: Switching distros

To: <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Switching distros
From: "Dale W Hodge" <dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 13:52:46 -0600

> > For example, if I wanted to set aside a partition for Samba, I
> > could create it and put it in /home/username/stuff/samba, and
> > that's where it would appear to be?

I think what you are asking about is a separate partition for shared dos
files.  Yes you can do that. I have a /DOS directory that holds all the
shared files for my windows boxes.  It's mounted on a separate partition for
two reasons.  1) DOS files are limited to the size of their own partition.
2) It makes it safe to upgrade distributions without fear of loss of data.

> > And my other question: Since I have the Red Hat CD, if I install
> > Red Hat just to get started and wanted to switch to Debian, is
> > that an easy transition, or should I just make some sort of
> > bootable floppy and do a internet installation of Debian somehow?
>
> I would say "it's not an easy transition".

That's an understatement.  There's so many gotcha's that you might as well
wipe the drive and start over. Some of the problems include changes in the C
library and then there's the problem with the package managers.  If you were
switching from RedHat to Mandrake or some other RPM based system, it would
more likely work.

> It's kind of like going sailing, then, in the middle of the ocean,
> deciding that you're going to "switch ships" (distros), so you pull
> every board and nail up one by one until you have a bunch of wood and
> metal floating next to you, then reassembling it all.  I'm not saying
> you can't do it, I'm just saying it might be easier to go back to dock
> and put your luggage on a different ship :)

Cute analogy! :)  But I'd say that you'd probably find that once you got
your boat apart, try as you might, you can't get all the pieces to go back
together again. So now you have to swim to shore and try to build a new boat
so maybe you can retrieve part of your luggage before it's completely lost
at sea.  :)

--dwh

Dale W Hodge * dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx * dwh@xxxxxxxx * dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
             -- www.neuralmatrix.org * www.dnd-automotive.com --