Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: Switching distros

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Switching distros
From: "Clint A. Brubakken" <cabrubak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 11:50:02 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 6 Jan 2000, John Reinke wrote:

> Thanks for the tips on setting up partitions. Just to make sure I
> understand this: In Linux/UNIX, if multiple partitions are created and
> mounted, it all behaves like one big directory structure? For example, if I
> wanted to set aside a partition for Samba, I could create it and put it in
> /home/username/stuff/samba, and that's where it would appear to be? Do
> permissions for the directory control the permissions for the partition as
> well?

yes

> And my other question: Since I have the Red Hat CD, if I install Red Hat
> just to get started and wanted to switch to Debian, is that an easy
> transition, or should I just make some sort of bootable floppy and do a
> internet installation of Debian somehow?

I think it would be very difficult, you would have to replace the inittab,
and the scripts that brought the system up, plus all the programs

It would be easier to make a seperate home partition, and when the time
came just install over it, and not reformat your home partition.

Some more advice for partitions
you might want to make a seperate /var partition in case a log file fills
it up (I make a symbolic link from /tmp to /var/tmp, but if /tmp is full a
lot of programs won't work, so maybe make that seperate also)

if your installing custom software (compiling it yourself), you might get
away with not recompiling when you switch dist, if you put them in a
seperate /usr/local partition.

> Getting ever closer to the ultimate box,
> John

Clint Brubakken
Developer, Computer Science Services Group, LLC
Dictator-for-Life Air Capital Linux Users Group
Wichita, KS
cabrubak@xxxxxxx
---
They don't call me Colonel Homer because I'm some dumb-ass army guy.

                --Homer Simpson
                  Colonel Homer