Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: January 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: Switching distros

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Switching distros
From: Jeff <schaller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 12:23:26 -0600 (CST)

< Take this with a grain of salt, as I've never switched distros on
the same machine >

On Thu, 6 Jan 2000, John Reinke wrote:

> Thanks for the tips on setting up partitions. Just to make sure I
> understand this: In Linux/UNIX, if multiple partitions are created
> and mounted, it all behaves like one big directory structure?

Yes. Everything gets mounted under /, so it's all one big tree.
For example, / is one partition, /usr another, and /usr/src another.
So "cd /; cd usr; cd src" takes you through 3 different partitions.

> For example, if I wanted to set aside a partition for Samba, I
> could create it and put it in /home/username/stuff/samba, and
> that's where it would appear to be? Do permissions for the
> directory control the permissions for the partition as well?

It's a little odd to do that, but you can! It doesn't make a lot of
sense to htink of permissions on partitions -- just files (and
directories). Maybe you're thinking of the owner & permissions of the
mount-point (for example, /usr). That controls who can make more
subdirectories/files under that directory.

> And my other question: Since I have the Red Hat CD, if I install
> Red Hat just to get started and wanted to switch to Debian, is
> that an easy transition, or should I just make some sort of
> bootable floppy and do a internet installation of Debian somehow?

I would say "it's not an easy transition".  Best advice if you're
looking to do something like that is to keep a list of what apps you
install/like/get used to/compile/otherwise install. Also, keep your
data as separate as you can -- /home or /usr/local or something. At
that point you can (probably) do an install of debian and tell it to
use the partitions you've got, letting it overwrite /usr and such, but
keeping /usr/local and /home untouched. (re)install the apps you want
and *boom* there ya go.  In theory.

It's kind of like going sailing, then, in the middle of the ocean,
deciding that you're going to "switch ships" (distros), so you pull
every board and nail up one by one until you have a bunch of wood and
metal floating next to you, then reassembling it all.  I'm not saying
you can't do it, I'm just saying it might be easier to go back to dock
and put your luggage on a different ship :)

-jeff
--
Churchill's Commentary on Man:  Man will occasionally stumble over the
truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on.