Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: Debian is `Favorite Distribution' according to Li nux Jour

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Debian is `Favorite Distribution' according to Li nux Journal (fwd)
From: glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 21:29:36 -0600 (CST)

On 28 Dec, Jonathan Hall wrote:

> I would say you're probably right that the LJ crowd is different than the
> majority of the population.  I think most people who are starting with Linux
> buy something at BestBuy or CompUSA, for instance, which means they get
> RedHat or Caldera or something similar.

most beginners i know (including me, of course) start(ed) with Red
Hat...  every friend of mine that is interested in linux asks me which
linux is best...  i tell them MY favorite is Debian, because it's more
powerful and configurable...  BUT Red Hat is the best way to go if
you're just starting w/ linux...  however, it's possible the new Corel
distro may be a little more user friendly (but at what cost?)...

> Most LJ readers are no longer "absolute beginners", and thus have "evolved"
> beyond RH/Caldera/etc, and are using more "advanced" distros... like Debian
> for instance.

well, i was definately an "absolute beginner" when i subscribed to
LJ...  saw an ad for it, and since i was subscribed to Windows
Magazine, tho't it'd be appropriate if i would also subscribe to LJ...
i have to admit, i still don't know what half of the stuff they're
talking about is, but there's still been nice stuff...  tho' i get a
lot more help from the Linux Gazette (www.linuxgazette.com), which is
published by LJ also, but is FREE!  : ^ )

i'd like to try out a few more distro's, just for the hell of it, but
due to my lack in bandwidth (and cash at the moment), i'm sticking w/
Debian and Red Hat (i'd install Debian on my semi-new computer i'm
getting soon, but i d/l-ed Debian the first time, and don't want to
ever do that again! : ^ )

btw...  what is the best way to get a distro off the 'net?  i see most
have "ISO's" or disk images (whatever you want to call them)...  is
there any way to avoid having a ~650Mb download?  i want do burn a copy
of Debian and Red Hat 6.x to cd (w/ my new cd burner that works
WONDERFULLY in linux!), but on a 56k connection, it may take just a BIT
of time... : ^ )

anyway, enuf blabbing for me,
jesse

--
<<<Linux lloydix 2.2.13 #8 Wed Dec 22 02:31:05 CST 1999 i586 unknown>>>

Lurleen, I can't get your song outta my mind.  I
haven't felt this way since `Funky Town.'

                -- Homer Simpson
                   Colonel Homer