Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: December 1999:
[aclug-L] Re: CD-ROM drive speeds

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: CD-ROM drive speeds
From: Jeff <schaller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 1999 13:45:10 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 19 Dec 1999, Jonathan Hall wrote:

> it is not atypical for a "fast" CD drive to spin up and down
> constantly when it's being randomly accessed or playing a 1x CD.
> But when I'm running something like cdparanoia (or cat /dev/scd1 >
> /devnull), it pulls the data off the drive as fast as the drive is
> capable at sustained rates.  There should never even be an
> opporitunity for the drive to spin down.

Just a random idea since I don't have the hard data on IDE bus rates
versus 24x output ... but maybe the CDROM is putting the data out
faster than the BUS can take it, and so thus is spinning down in
between?  Even if just long enough to "forget" what track it was on
(but leave the light on) to where it has to re-seek.

Brainstorming,
-jeff
--
 "Sendmail started out being a sledgehammer used to kill a fly, only to
  discover that the fly was actually an elephant in the distance."